Shine on: the Supreme Water-repellent Solution – Hydrophobic Coating for Your Car
A hydrophobic coating for cars is a type of surface coating that is applied to the glass, paint and other exterior components of a vehicle to make it more resistant to water. It creates a hydrophobic shield on the surface of the car that causes water droplets to bead up and roll off. Rather than stick to the surface and create water spots or streaks, the water droplets are repelled by the hydrophobic surface. These coatings can be applied to the paint, windows, and practically any other surface to help protect the car from the weather. Auto detailers also use hydrophobic treatment to keep the vehicle looking clean and shiny after a wash. Some hydrophobic coatings also have additional properties such as UV protection to protect the car's surface from harsh sunlight. Other hydrophobic coatings have anti-static properties.
Let’s look at hydrophobic coating in more detail and talk about its benefits.
Here checkout the Car wrap vs paint: Which is better?
What is Hydrophobic Coating?
Hydrophobic coatings for automobiles are a form of defensive layer applied to the paint or other outer surfaces of a vehicle, such as glass, wheels, and plastics. These coatings establish a shield on the surface that repels water, grime, and other impurities, making the car simpler to clean and assisting in maintaining its appearance.
Hydrophobic coatings can be applied to an array of exterior surfaces on a vehicle, including:
Painted Body Panels and Parts:
Hydrophobic coatings can be applied to the car's paint to safeguard it from water, grime, and other impurities, and to make it easier to clean.
Glass Windshield and Windows:
Hydrophobic coating can be applied to the car's windshield and windows to make it easier to remove water and other substances, enhancing visibility while driving.
Wheels or Rims:
Hydrophobic coatings can be applied to the car's wheels (alloys and stainless steel) to make them easier to clean and to protect them from brake dust and other impurities.
Hydrophobic coatings can be applied to various plastic parts of the car such as mirrors, bumpers, and trim to prevent fading, discolouration, wear & tear and other types of damage caused by exposure to weather.
Hydrophobic coatings can be applied to the car's metal surfaces such as the exhaust system and the door handles to protect them from rust, corrosion, and other forms of damage caused by exposure to the elements.
It's important to note that, while hydrophobic coatings can be applied to all of these surfaces, the process of application and the type of coating that is used may vary depending on the specific surface and the desired outcome. Refer to your owner's manual for different guidelines on where hydrophobic treatment can be applied.
Read Here What is waterless car detailing?
What Are Hydrophobic Materials Made of?
Hydrophobic materials for cars are typically made from a combination of polymers, silica-based compounds, waxes & sealants and polyurethane coatings. These hydrophobic materials are applied as coatings in the form of liquids, sprays or films on the exterior of a car to repel water and prevent it from sticking to the surface. This can help to improve visibility during heavy rain, as well as reduce the amount of dirt, oil and grime that accumulates on the car's exterior surface over time. Some examples of these types of coatings include Teflon and Nanolex.
Here is a detailed list of hydrophobic materials for cars and how they work.
- Teflon, also known as polytetrafluoroethylene, is a synthetic polymer compound of tetrafluoroethylene, a commonly used hydrophobic material with varied applications. It has a low coefficient of friction surface so that water runs off it, high heat resistance to protect from sunlight / UV rays and excellent chemical resistance properties, making it ideal for use as a hydrophobic coating on paintwork and glass. Teflon is often used in industrial and automotive applications.
- Silicone-based hydrophobic coatings for cars, SUVs and trucks are made from silicone and a combination of other materials. These hydrophobic silicone coatings are highly durable and can be used on different surfaces, such as glass, metal, synthetic components and plastics. They are often used in automotive applications as well as in industrial settings to repel water and prevent the accumulation of dirt, grease & grime.
- Fluorinated polymers are a class of molecular compounds that are chemically modified to contain a large number of fluorine atoms. These polymers are known for their excellent chemical stability & thermal resistance, making them suitable for hydrophobic coatings. They are often used in industrial and automotive applications, as a hydrophobic coating for glass and metal.
- Polyurethane is a hydrophobic compound made from the chemical reaction of polyisocyanate and polyalcohol. These water-repellent coatings are extremely durable, resistant to moisture, and chemically inert which prevents damage. They are used as defensive hydrophobic coatings in automotive applications as well as in marine engineering.
- Hydrophobic nanoparticles are a new technology which consists of microscopic particles that have been engineered to repel water. These particles can be made from metals, ceramics, and polymers depending on their specific use. They are often used in coatings and surface treatments to make surfaces hydrophobic.
- Waxes, polishes & sealants are hydrophobic compounds that can be applied to surfaces to repel water and prevent the build-up of dirt, grime & grease. They are often used in automotive and industrial applications, as well as in the care and maintenance of various types of exposed surfaces.
- Lotions/sprays containing wax or silicone compounds can be applied to surfaces to create a hydrophobic barrier for protection against moisture, dirt, oil and harsh chemicals. They are often used in automotive detailing products to maintain the paintwork and exterior finish.
- Carbon nanotubes make use of tiny carbon atoms with a high aspect ratio, meaning they are long and thin in dimensions. This gives them hydrophobic properties for automotive use.
- Metal-organic frameworks are made of metal ions and hydrophobic organic molecules that can repel water on their surface. Other compounds such as polypropylene and polyethene can chemically resist water absorption.
- Hydrophobic silica and silica-based materials made from silicon dioxide are used to make the surface waterproof in automotive applications. They are the basis of hydrophobic paint, hydrophobic car glass and coatings formulated to repel water.
Also read: How to clean headlight lenses?
The Benefits of Applying Hydrophobic Materials to Your Car
Applying hydrophobic materials to a car's exterior surface can provide several benefits, such as protection from water, abrasions & chemicals. They also provide a long-lasting shine to maintain your paintwork.
The benefits of hydrophobic coatings on your car include:
Improved Water Resistance:
Hydrophobic materials repel water, which can help to keep a car's exterior cleaner, drier and moisture free. It reduces the need for frequent washing, waxing and polishing.
Protection From Water Spots and Stains:
Hydrophobic coatings can help to prevent water spots, swirl marks and stains from forming on a car's paintwork. These water marks can prove difficult to remove once they dry up.
Protection From Environmental Damage and Weather:
Hydrophobic coatings can provide an additional layer of protection for a car's paint, helping to guard against damage from the sun, acid rain, snow, dirt, debris and other environmental factors.
Hydrophobic coatings enhance the shine and lustre of a car's paint, making it look newer and more well-maintained.
By reducing the need for frequent washing, waxing and polishing to protect the paint from damage, hydrophobic coatings can help to save money on car care and maintenance in the long run.
Hydrophobic coating for cars is great for paint protection, water resistance and to keep your car dirt and grime free. They also maintain the glossy look of a new car, and reduce wear and tear on external components due to weather elements, etc. Hydrophobic coating for car glass also improves visibility during the monsoons and gives you a clear view of the road ahead.
Consider investing in hydrophobic coating products for your car if you want to alleviate the task of detailing your ride every time it comes out from a wash.
Check out other superb articles on the Carorbis blog. You might like to read How To Fold Car Cover Alone and Difference Between A Car Wash And Car Detailing
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How to Make Glass Hydrophobic?
Ans. There are a few ways to make glass hydrophobic, but adding a water-repellent chemical surface on the glass surface is the most common method used. The hydrophobic coating is available as a spray, liquid or film that can be applied without much effort. The hydrophobic surface prevents water accumulation and causes droplets to run off. Another method is to etch the glass surface with an acidic chemical which creates a rough surface causing water droplets to bead up and roll off. New methods involve the application of a nano-coating material to create a water-resistant glass surface. The selected method depends on the type of glass used in car windshields and windows. Certain laminated surfaces don’t take to hydrophobic coatings well. So, ensure you are using the most suitable method to make glass hydrophobic.
Q2. How Hydrophobic Coating Works?
Ans. The hydrophobic coating for cars works by creating a barrier on a surface that repels water droplets and moisture. This hydrophobic barrier is typically made up of material which has low surface energy, such as a polymer or a fluorinated compound. When water comes into contact with the coating, it immediately runs off, rather than being absorbed or adhering to it. This prevents water from damaging or leaving stains on the surface (spots or swirl marks), and can also make it easier to clean. Dirt also has a difficult time sticking to a hydrophobic surface. Some hydrophobic coatings can also provide additional benefits such as UV protection (shielding from sunlight) and self-cleaning.
Q3. Which Are the Most Common Parts of a Car That Require Hydrophobic Coating?
Ans. Common exterior components that require hydrophobic treatment include the painted body panels to stay protected from water spots, chemicals and weathering. The windshield and windows will stay clean and clear with a hydrophobic coating as they will repel moisture and dirt. It is also easy to clean glass that has a hydrophobic coating. Some tyre dressing compounds and alloy wheel protectants use hydrophobic products to keep them shiny and looking new. There is less chance of dirt accumulation on rims and components like brakes remain clean. You can use a hydrophobic coating on interior trim, dashboards, centre consoles, armrests and other parts to prevent spills and stains while driving. There are certain hydrophobic chemicals which could potentially damage delicate surfaces, so check compatibility before applying the coating to your car.
Q4. How Long Does Hydrophobic Coating Last on a Car?
Ans. The life of hydrophobic coating depends on various factors such as the compounds used, the application process, exposure conditions and maintenance of the treatment. Coatings generally last for at least a year while some require reapplication more frequently. If the car is exposed to UV light, rain, chemicals and is not washed often, there are chances the hydrophobic coating will wear out prematurely. Ways to increase the life of your protective coating include following the right application procedure and regular maintenance. Wash with a pH-neutral shampoo and dry the car to remove harsh chemicals and grime on the paint surface. Also, park your car in the shade or a covered parking lot to prevent sunlight from degrading the hydrophobic material over time.
Q5. Can the Hydrophobic Coating Be Applied at Home?
Ans. Yes, there are many hydrophobic spray liquids and wipe-on products which are easy to apply to the car at home. They come with special sponges and cloths to effectively cover the car’s exterior with the coating. Some applications require professional assistance with specific equipment and a bit of skill to get the job done properly. Usually, the products which are bought off the shelves in car accessory stores are not designed to last long, while the professional application generally will protect your car for a couple of months to years.
Q6. Can the Hydrophobic Coating Be Applied to Any Type of Car?
Ans. Hydrophobic coatings can be applied to cars, SUVs, trucks, bikes or any other vehicle. Automobiles with clear coat paintwork, plastic trim and chrome are suitable candidates for hydrophobic coat treatment. The coating can be applied to the exterior and interior surface of the car, or specific areas such as the windscreen, headlight lenses, windows and mirrors. It can be used on brand-new cars, classic cars, and even cars that have been restored with a new paint job.
Note: before applying a hydrophobic coating, the car's exterior should be thoroughly cleaned and prepped. Any dirt, debris, or previous coatings should be removed to ensure the best results.